Game 7 - Orange Lutheran
Orange Lutheran Lancers (3-3)
@ SMCHS Eagles (3-3)
Trabuco Hills High School (Mission Viejo, California)
Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 7:00 p.m.
LAST WEEK’S RECAP & HIGHLIGHTS VS. JSerra
- Santa Margarita Catholic opened the Trinity League portion of its 2019 schedule with a loss at JSerra Catholic, 35-3. This on a week that MaxPreps.com ranked the Trinity League to No. 1 toughest prep football league in the nation.
- The Eagles strong defense hung with the Lions in the first half, trailing just 7-3 at the intermission. Drew Sulick led the defense with nine tackles, while Cole Maihen and Derek Wilkins each notched one quarterback sack.
- SMCHS ran their consecutive-game scoring streak to 170 games. The last time the Eagles were shutout was in September, 2004 at Orange Lutheran, 19-0. The Eagles have only been shutout four times in their existence -- one time each in 1999, 2002, 2003 and 2004.
HEAD COACH BRENT VIESELMEYER
Brent Vieselmeyer enters his first season as the Head Varsity Football Coach at Santa Margarita Catholic High School. Coach Vieselmeyer was hired and introduced at a ceremonial announcement on February 19 by school President Andy Sulick. He comes to the Eagles from Kansas University where he held the position of Offensive Analyst, most recently.
Prior to coaching last season with the Jayhawks, Vieselmeyer was with the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League for three seasons. He joined the Raider franchise in 2015 after spending 15 years coaching at the collegiate and high school levels. While at Oakland, Vieselmeyer held positions as Assistant Linebacker Coach and Safeties Coach.
Vieselmeyer spent two seasons as Co-Defensive Coordinator at Houston Baptist University from 2013-14. Prior to joining the Huskies, he served as head coach at highly-respected Valor Christian High School in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, beginning in March 2007, where he launched the football program.
At Valor Christian, he compiled a 55-11 record (.833), leading the Eagles to four-straight state championships in 2009 (3A), 2010 (4A), 2011 (4A) and 2012 (5A). He was named the Denver Post “Colorado Coach of the Year” in 2009, 2010 and 2011 and was All Sport Jefferson County “Coach of the Year” in 2010.
Vieselmeyer began his coaching career at Orange (California) Lutheran High School, where he spent eight years as defensive coordinator. He led the Lancers to the 2006 Division II California state title. They also won the 2004 CIF-Southern Section Championship and were finalists in 2000, 2001 and 2003. During his career, Vieselmeyer has seen 31 of his student-athletes earn college football scholarships.
A native of Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, Vieselmeyer played linebacker at the University of Redlands (California) and Concordia University in Mequon, Wisconsin. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in education from Concordia in 1999, and a Master of Arts in educational administration from the University of Phoenix in 2005.
Coach and his wife Marnie have two daughters, Payton and Quinn.
|Brent Vieselmeyer Prep Head Coaching Career|
|2019||Santa Margarita Catholic||3-3-0||Trinity||Ranked by Orange County Register|
|2012||Valor Christian||12-2-0||Independent||5A State Champions|
|2011||Valor Christian||14-0-0||4A South Metro||4A State Champions|
|2010||Valor Christian||11-3-0||4A South Metro||4A State Champions|
|2009||Valor Christian||14-0-0||3A South Metro||3A State Champions|
|2008||Valor Christian||4-6-0||3A South Metro|
|2007||Valor Christian||- - -||- - -||No games played - Launched program|
|Prep Career Record: 58-14-0 (.806)|
SANTA MARGARITA PLAYERS TO WATCH
7 Joshua Contreras - Quarterback, Senior (6-2 / 190)
- Threw a 47-yard touchdown pass in his only pass attempt in win over Stellar Prep.
- Made first varsity start at quarterback in loss at Cherry Creek. Threw for 219 yards and one touchdown.
- With that, Contreras had one of the best starting debuts ever for an Eagle quarterback (by passing yards)..
|Most Passing Yards in First Career Start - SMCHS All-Time|
|K.J. Costello||243||@ Bishop Amat||08/30/13||Sophomore|
|Josiah Norwood||243||@ Downey||08/25/17||Senior|
|Ryan World||222||@ Mater Dei||10/19/07||Junior|
|Joshua Contreras||219||@ Cherry Creek (Colorado)||09/06/19||Senior|
9 Colt Fulton - Quarterback, Junior (6-4 / 195)
- Made first varsity start at quarterback and threw for 207 yards and two touchdowns in win at Redlands East Valley.
- Named by Orange County Register as a “Hot 150” player for 2019 -- No. 44.
- Has received one Division I scholarship offer thus far -- Florida Atlantic University (Boca Raton, Florida). Head Coach is Lane Kiffin.
- Ranked No. 6 “Quarterback to Watch” in Orange County by Dave Albano of the Orange County Register.
- Attended the fourth-annual QB Collective Camp in the summer.
- Transfer from Centennial High School of Corona where he played as a sophomore on the varsity team in 2018. Played freshman season in 2017 at Alta High School in Sandy, Utah.
10 Tyler Hartigan - Nose Tackle, Senior (5-10 / 240)
- Registered 1 1/2 sacks in win over Stellar Prep.
- Notched first career interception and returned it 35 yards in loss to Mission Viejo.
11 Keanu Kama - Defensive Back, Junior (6-2 / 180)
- Returned an interception 63 yards for a touchdown in win at Redlands East Valley.
13 Mitch Messier - Defensive Back, Junior (6-0 / 180)
- Leads the team with four interceptions.
- Collected two interceptions in win over Mayfair.
14 Tyler Wetmore - Wide Receiver, Junior (5-11 /175)
- Team leader with 16 pass receptions for the season.
- Had a team-high six receptions in loss at Cherry Creek. One was for a seven-yard touchdown.
- Caught two passes, both for touchdowns, for 72 yards (36.0 average) in win at Redlands East Valley.
18 Tyler Whitman - Defensive Back, Junior (6-0 / 185)
- Recovered a fumble in the end zone after a blocked punt and scored a touchdown in win over Mayfair.
19 Ian Grogan - Punter / Wide Receiver, Sophomore (5-11 / 175)
- Notched career highs with five receptions along with 113 yards receiving in loss at Cherry Creek.
- Averaging 34.9 yards per kick on 21 punts for the season with a long of 51 yards (vs. Mission Viejo).
22 Nick Barcelos - Running Back / Long Snapper, Senior (6-1 / 215)
- Gained a career-high 160 yards rushing on 23 carries (7.0 average) with two touchdowns in win over Mayfair.
- Gained 105 all-purpose yards in win at Redlands East Valley.
- Named by Orange County Register as a “Hot 150” player for 2019 -- No. 99.
- Ranked No. 10 “Running Back to Watch” in Orange County by Dave Albano of the Orange County Register.
- Has received five Division I scholarship offers thus far -- United States Air Force Academy (Colorado Springs, Colorado), United States Naval Academy (Annapolis, Maryland), United States Military Academy (Army-West Point - NY), Oklahoma State and Nevada. Also has received a preferred walk-on offer from Rice University (Houston).
- Kohl’s National Scholarship Camp participant (July 20-21 @ Milwaukee, Wisconsin).
- Kohl’s Western Spring Showcase participant (May 5 @ Sherbeck Field - Cal-State Fullerton).
- Rubio Long Snapping Camp participant in early-July. Named one of the top-10 long snappers in camp.
- 2019 Polynesian Bowl National Combine & Showcase participant (March 30-31 @ Gorman HS - Las Vegas, Nevada).
24 Mark Ard, Jr. - Cornerback, Senior (6-2 / 180)
- Registered his second interception of the season in loss at Cherry Creek.
- Returned an interception 40 yards for a touchdown in win at Redlands East Valley.
- Named by Orange County Register as a “Hot 150” player for 2019 -- No. 106.
- Has received two Division I scholarship offers thus far -- Nevada and Brigham Young.
33 Gregory Doyle - Defensive End / Linebacker, Senior (6-3 / 215)
- Registered two tackles for loss in win at Redlands East Valley.
- Attended the Enforcer Linebacker Academy in the summer.
- 2018 Second-Team All-Trinity League.
35 Jonathan Teasley - Place Kicker, Sophomore (5-8 / 150)
- Is 11-of-13 on extra-point conversion attempts for the season (84.6%).
- Is 6-of-8 on field goal attempts (75.0%) with a long of 37 yards at JSerra Catholic.
43 Drew Sulick - Linebacker, Junior (6-0 / 195)
- Had a team-high 10 tackles in win over Stellar Prep.
- Makes the transition to the defensive side of the ball at linebacker for 2019.
- Registered first career pass reception and touchdown -- 28 yards -- in win over Mayfair in 2018.
53 Derek Wilkins - Defensive End, Junior (6-5 / 250)
- Team leader with five quarterback sacks.
- In win over Mayfair, registered an amazing six tackles-for-loss, one fumble recovery and two quarterback sacks.
- For the second-consecutive game, notched a forced fumble and a sack, in loss at Cherry Creek.
- Registered a forced fumble, one sack and a team-leading 15 tackles in loss to Mission Viejo.
- Has received three Division I scholarship offers thus far -- Arizona State, Oregon State and San Jose State.
- Named by Orange County Register as a “Hot 150” player for 2019 -- No. 88.
- Has received three Division I scholarship offers thus far -- San Jose State, Arizona State and Oregon State.
72 Jason Schillig - Tackle / Guard, Senior (6-2 / 280)
- Has received seven collegiate scholarship offers thus far -- University of Chicago, Valparaiso University (Indiana), Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, Maryland), Davidson College (North Carolina), Carleton College (Northfield, Minnesota), Claremont McKenna and University of San Diego.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT: AT Orange Lutheran
SMCHS Season Game No. 7 / Trinity League Game No. 2
Game Date: Thursday, October 10, 2019 @ Trabuco Hills High School, 7:00 p.m.
School Location: Orange, California
Head Coach: J.P. Presley (4th Season)
2019 Record: 3-3
Last Game: Lost, 51-14 at Mater Dei (Santa Ana Bowl)
2018 Season: 5-6 Overall / 2-3 Trinity League / 0-1 CIF-Southern Section Division I Playoffs
All-Time Series: 15 Games -- Orange Lutheran Leads 8-7-0
2018 Game: Orange Lutheran won 39-37 @ Orange Coast College
Last SMCHS Win: 2017, 38-31 @ Trabuco Hills High School
Players to Watch:
- Logan Gonzalez - Quarterback (Sophomore)
- Cooper Vander Hill - Running Back (Senior)
- Malik Blackmon - Wide Receiver (Sophomore)
NEXT WEEK’S OPPONENT: Mater Dei
SMCHS Season Game No. 8 / Trinity League Game No. 3
Game Date: Friday, October 18, 2019 @ Trabuco Hills High School, 7:00 p.m.
School Location: Santa Ana, California
Head Coach: Bruce Rollinson (31st Season)
2019 Record: 6-0
Last Game: Won, 51-14 vs. Orange Lutheran (Santa Ana Bowl)
2018 Season: 13-2 Overall - National Champions / 4-1 Trinity League - 2nd Place / 4-0 CIF-Southern Section Division I Playoffs - Champions / 1-0 CIF Division I State Championship Bowl - Champions
All-Time Series: 20 Games -- Mater Dei Leads 14-6-0
2018 Game: Mater Dei won 49-7 @ Santa Ana Bowl
Last SMCHS Win: 2013, 16-7 @ Santa Ana Bowl
Players to Watch:
- Bryce Young - Quarterback (Senior)
- Myles Murao - Tackle (Senior)
- Kody Epps - Wide Receiver (Senior)
- Domani Jackson - Defensive Back (Sophomore)
- Jaylin Davies - Defensive Back (Junior)
Other Trinity League Games This Week
Friday, October 11
St. John Bosco @ JSerra Catholic, 7:00 p.m.
Servite vs. Mater Dei @ Santa Ana Bowl, 7:00 p.m.
Compiled and edited by Chuck Nan. Game and historical statistics by Shane Mielke